Hip Hop and Vodouisants are doing the whole vegan thing. Domino’s Pizza and people who fired shots at McDonald’s for forgetting their bacon, are not. What else caught my eye this week? Take a gander:
- Vegan Climb of Mount Everest Interrupted by Earthquake
- Domino’s Rejects Vegan Cheese and Meats as Toppings
- PETA: McDonald’s Shooter Would be Calmer on a Vegan Diet
- Stanford Voted Best University for Vegan Students
- Vegan Vodouisant Shirks Traditional Animal Sacrifice
- Aquafaba (Bean Liquid) Egg Replacer
- Hip Hop is Green: Vegan Hip Hop Tour
- BBQ Pulled Portobello Sliders from Helyn’s Healthy Kitchen- At a recent neighborhood gathering Helyn with a y told Helen with an e that her BBQ Pulled Ostrich Sliders were terrible. She made Helen with an e try her Portobello version. Helen with an e went home in tears, they were so good. I’m not sure what a spelt bun tastes like but you could probably put these sliders on cardboard and I’d be all in.
- Vegan Ranch Dressing from Jennifer’s Kitchen- Everything tastes better with Ranch Dressing (insert sad emoji). Now you can make a vegan version at home (insert extremely happy emoji with a dabble of ranch dressing dripping from its chin).
- Tempeh Satay from Oh My Veggies- Fun fact, food tastes better after it has been pierced with a skewer. I’m not sure what the scientific explanation is for this but I know there must be one somewhere.
- No Bake Mini Red Velvet Cheesecake from Pickles & Honey- You mean I don’t even have to slave over a hot summer oven for this vegan cheesecake? Sign me up! Bonus points because the cheesecakes have ridges like peanut butter cups.
- Sweet Potato Gnocchi from The Minimalist Vegan- I’m coming off a lunch where four of the six adults in attendance ordered gnocchi so there should be no surprise why gnocchi is on my mind. This version is made from sweet potato and works for a (gasp!) gluten free diet. Zing!
- Grilled Eggplant Banh Mi from The Chubby Vegetarian (Not Vegan)- As far as I’m concerned the Chubby Vegetarian is the king of making meat out of eggplant. From Pulled Eggplant BBQ to Eggplant Sliders to Eggplant Po’ Boys, this blog knows how to do eggplant up right. I can’t wait to check out the newest addition to the eggplant party.
“Minor Flaws” by Work Drugs
I ran into a girl I used to date the other day. That’s when I realized she was real. I had been pretending for years that she was just a figment of some loosely remembered dream. I had just about convinced myself that she wasn’t real a second time when I caught “Minor Flaws” by Work Drugs. The memories came back all over again.
“Ain’t So Young” by Glamour Assassins
This song sounds like it should be the theme song for an eighties sitcom. I’m not talking Who’s the Boss or some lame ass show like that. I’m picturing more along the lines of an eighties sitcom that was so super exclusive that you never even saw it. That would mean that you are hearing the song for the first time today and have no idea that it ever appeared as a sitcom theme.
“Storm of the Century” by Dutch Party
Dutch Party name drops more storms in this four minutes and ten seconds than I’ve heard in my eleven years living here. I guess that’s the nature of the Florida beast. What are we going to do, complain that it is sunny 350 days a year?
“With Time” by Maria Sweet
Maria Sweet is a persistent bunch. I’ve kicked their track “With Time” around a lot. Do I like it? Don’t I? Can I cook to it? About the time I deleted their first email and said I’m not a fan, a follow up popped into my inbox. At that point I allowed the pendulum to swing as far as it could in the opposite direction.
“Take It Or Leave It” by Slim Wray
This track is what happens when you steal a mechanical bull and set it up in your garage right next to the wind machine.
Imagine if our forefathers had this blaring on their wooden ships as they traveled across the ocean, fought for the revolution and learned how to plant crops. Glow sticks might’ve been so sixteenth century.
“Mene” by Brand New
“Mene Mene” is an idiom that commonly means “the writing on the wall”, or “the hand writing on the wall”. This video suggests that clearly I’ve been looking past this writing for far too long. Everything I’ve paid attention to by Brand New I’ve enjoyed. Time to seek out more.
“Loose People” by Sans Parents
My brother and I tried to make this same video to Genesis’ “I Can’t Dance” when we were almost teenagers. Obviously we failed or you would be hearing about Sans Parents and their copyright infringement suit.
“Did You See” by Running Young
I’m okay with Running Young filming every single video they make from here on out in the same setting as “Did You See”. Old, rundown buildings have such a story to tell. Pair that story with the artistic vision of the graffiti and you’ve got something to ponder. It is a ponderance that requires a length of longer than just one video to do it justice.
First Quarter Click Tracks (When Available) via Spotify: